So...you know how I shared that I was worried about my blase attitude in my last post? A lot if it had to do with not having to think about what we're doing as much as we did last time around. The decisions this time around didn't seem so monumental.
Until today.
My RE called and asked me whether we were planning to transfer one or two of the embryos. For some reason, when I talked to my nurse about the one versus two issue a couple of weeks ago, she said that Dr. G. would
make me thaw both at the same time, but it was my choice to transfer one or two. For me, there was no decision to be made. Two. But Dr. G. said we could thaw one at a time.
Ack! Confusion and panic immediately set in as he was asking me for an answer.
Let me back up a minute. Yesterday, I was surfing an infertility forum and the topic of transferring one versus two embryos was at the very top. When I opened it, I read all of these opinions about the risks of multiples. Things that are not exclusive to multiple pregnancies and births, but certainly heightened by them. Things like premature labor and delivery, extensive NICU time, developmental delays, therapies, miscarriage, and neonatal death. These are things that I already knew about. Things I worried about when we transferred two embryos two years ago. Things that later haunted me with guilt because I had worried so much about actually being pregnant with twins and then raising twins, and then had to say goodbye to Eli.
And all of the fears and guilt resurfaced again.
But I know that God does not give us a spirit of fear or guilt, so I tried to think about how fun it would be to have twins. How doubly blessed we would be. How, even if we had challenges with pregnancy, labor, delivery and beyond, we would just love love love each child and how God has already fearfully and wonderfully made him/her. How God would have answered our hearts' desire to have three kids in one (well, I guess it's really two) fell swoop.
So when I talked to Dr. G. this morning, I felt my pulse start racing, my heart started aching with doubt, and I was unsure of everything all over again. I told him I am really concerned about the risks of having multiples. As soon as I said that, he said, "OK, so then I'll put you down for one."
"Well, what would you recommend?" I asked quickly, unsure of making such a decision just because of my fear of the risks of multiples.
He told me that if we transfer two, our likelihood of getting pregnant is 55-60%, but the likelihood of multiples is 25%. If we transfer one, our likelihood of getting pregnant is 35-40%, but the likelihood of multiples then goes down to 1%. [For the record, my clinic strongly encourages elective single embryo transfers, also known as eSET, because of the high risks of multiples pregnancies. Fertility clinics are notorious for their desire to keep their stats up, and ours is no exception, but I really value their stance on promoting the healthiest and safest pregnancies whenever possible.] I think he could feel my hesistancy, because he then added that, ultimately, that the implantation of either embryo is not contingent or affected by the act of transferring one or two.
In other words, if I can spin it a slightly different way, God knows which baby He's going to breath life into. If I transfer them both at one time, and if God is going to breath life into them both, then I'll have twins. Or He could choose to bring one or both Home with Him, and we won't get to know one or both here on earth. Likewise, I could transfer one this cycle and have a singleton (or be the 1% who has identical twins!), or not. And then transfer again and have another singleton, or not. The point is...God knows. He cares for us, our family, and each of our babies.
Of course, there are the practical, financial considerations. Since our insurance company only allows 3 IVF cycles per live birth, if we have two unsuccessful FETs, we only have one more shot at a fresh IVF cycle. And, despite our insurance coverage, we are still paying a considerable amount of money out of pocket for each cycle. On the flip side, if we do have multiples with any of the above-mentioned issues, we may have a lifetime of out of pocket expenses, like therapies and long-term hospital care.
All that to say, we are leaning towards transferring one. But we have a couple of weeks to let Dr. G. know that we've changed our minds. So please pray for wisdom and discernment for us. And, if you have any advice, please feel free to share!!!